Call our National Helpline on 0300 0300 363
Check availability times

The UK's leading Shared Parenting charity

Change of Surname


Change of Surname

Prior to the implementation of the Children Act 1989 on 14th October 1991, under section 41 of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 it was routinely stated on the 'certificate of satisfaction for the arrangements for the children' that no one should take any action without the authority of the court which would result in the children being known by another name. For anyone divorced before this date their children are automatically protected and anyone taking action against this prohibition would be in contempt of court.

The child's surname is also legally protected where a Residence Order is in force. Section 13(1)(a) of the Children Act 1989 states that:

"Where a residence order is in force with respect to a child, no person may cause the child to be known by a new surname without the written consent of every person who has parental responsibility for the child or the leave of the court".

If the child's surname is not protected by a residence order or by a 'certificate of satisfaction' then an application for a Prohibited Steps Order may be necessary.

What's the situation with unmarried fathers?

Where no residence order is in force an unmarried father may apply for a Specific Issue Order to specify by which surname a child should be known. Fathers with Parental Responsibility have a right to be consulted over any change of name by deed poll (cf. Practice Direction Child: Change of Surname [1995] 1 FLR 458).

What case law exists on changes of surname?

Case law on changes of surname for children changes frequently. Leading cases include:

Dawson v Wearmouth [1999] UKHL 18

Re W, Re A, Re B (Change of Name) [1999] EWCA Civ 2030

In Re R (a Child) (Surname: Using Both Parents') [2001] EWCA Civ 1344 at paragraph 15 Lady Justice Hale urged parents and the courts to consider using both parents' surnames for the child.

What rights do unmarried fathers have over birth certificates?

The Registration of Births and Deaths Act 1953 governs the registration of names. Where the father and the mother were not married it is the duty of the mother to register the birth within 42 days.

Child's Surname:

The Registration of Births and Deaths Regulations 1987 Section 9(3)(b) states that: "The surname to be entered shall be the surname by which at the date of registration of the birth it is intended that the child shall be known".

Child's Father Registered:

Section 10(1) prohibits the Registrar from entering the father's name on the birth certificate without the co-operation and consent of the mother unless there is a court order in force. Section 10(a) allows re-registration to show the father on the certificate, but only with the consent and co-operation of the mother.


What do you think?

Send us feedback!

        Forgot Login?  

  Join us now...
Consider a small donation...

If you are using Amazon for purchases, please use their "Smile" programme and select us as the charity they will donate to.


What do you think?

Send us feedback!

FNF HSSF Kite Mark Award

Families Need Fathers has been awarded the Help and Support for Separated Families Kite Mark which is a new UK government accreditation scheme for organisations offering help to separated families.

Families Need Fathers work with a range of family law professionals, including Family Law Panel


What do you think?

Send us feedback!

Upcoming Events

5/12/2020 Sat: Harrow Branch Meetings
7/12/2020 Mon: Nottingham Meeting
7/12/2020 Mon: Reading Meeting
7/12/2020 Mon: London Central Meeting
8/12/2020 Tue: Harrow Branch Meetings
8/12/2020 Tue: Brighton and Worthing Meeting
8/12/2020 Tue: Crawley and Horsham Meeting
9/12/2020 Wed: Harrow Branch Meetings
9/12/2020 Wed: Cambridge Online Meeting
12/12/2020 Sat: Harrow Branch Meetings
14/12/2020 Mon: London Central Meeting
14/12/2020 Mon: London North Meeting
15/12/2020 Tue: Harrow Branch Meetings
16/12/2020 Wed: Harrow Branch Meetings
16/12/2020 Wed: London West Meeting
17/12/2020 Thu: Exeter Meeting
19/12/2020 Sat: Harrow Branch Meetings